Sunday, September 11, 2011

We have babies!

written Monday evening, September 5th, the day we picked up the boys. Labor Day.



We walked in the door to our guesthouse with a sleeping Tamagn and a half-asleep Bereket and headed for the stairs. Lydia, the very sweet hostess, looked up surprised and smiled, “You have babies!” We continued to our room, laid the boys down in their little cribs, covered them with their blankets sent for them from their nana and walked down to a late lunch. We have babies!! Is this for real?!

The morning was relaxed and lovely. Sleep last night was good. Shared a quiet breakfast with fresh orange juice with Brandon. We are presently the only occupants at the guest house and I admit I am enjoying the quiet. Don’t miss those rowdy teenagers at all.

A little after 9:30 a driver arrived for us from CWA. With a backpack full of diapers, snacks, toy cars, and picture books we loaded into the van and started down the road. Our non-English speaking driver seemed a little confused. He pulled to the side of the road and made a call on his cell phone. Drove another hundred yards down the road and pulled over again. Another phone call. And then another stop. Finally he flips a U-turn and heads back to the guesthouse where he gets a few more instructions from the guys hanging out in front of our guesthouse. I’m starting to wonder if he’s really from CWA and where is he taking us…. We started out again, in a different direction, and then flipped another U-turn. Up a road that looked more like a dry riverbed to another guesthouse where we found another family from CWA. They loaded up and we were on our way.

Welcome back to the highways of Addis! I was beginning to feel sick. After we sat behind a truck and inhaled black, black exhaust for a minute we pulled yet another U-turn only to drive 50 yards and loop back around to be behind that lovely truck again. I’m definitely feeling sick.

Made it to CWA’s office building without tasting that fresh OJ again where we met up with a couple more adoptive families, including a friend from our trip in May (yay for familiar faces!), and got prepped for our embassy appointment tomorrow. And then they took us to get our boys.

Our driver cruised right past Acacia Village and I am so glad one of the men was paying attention and recognized the building. One more U-turn and we were there. I was dry heaving about that time and made a beeline for the bathroom.

When I came back, there was Bereket in his Uncle B’s arms. He looked just as small and lost as he did the first time we met him. But, similar to the first time we met, it took no time at all for him to warm up and offer that sweet smile to our expectant faces. The next two hours—or three?—were a blur. Tamagn was sleeping so I sat on the floor and let Bereket flip slowly through the ABC book I’d made for him of his new home. His curious fingers enjoyed the slippery feel of the shiny pages I think as much as he enjoyed studying each picture. And study them he did.















Upstairs for a snack and then we peeked in on Tamagn and accidentally woke him up. Oops. The nannies are so very gracious. So patient.

I got to spend half an hour meeting with the nurse and psychologist for my “briefing” on the boys, with Tamagn in my lap. Reviewed their growth and developmental progress, health histories, current schedules, asked a few questions and that was it. Pass the baton, we’re on!

Our time ended with a traditional coffee ceremony with the lead staff and other adoptive families… and five newly adopted kids. And then that was it. We said thank you—how do you really thank the people who loved your kids in your absence for the last four months—and then all loaded into a van. Both Bereket and Tamagn slept most of the ride back to the guest house.












































It is almost 10 pm Monday night as I finish this. My babies are sleeping in the room next door. We had a good day. A really good day. Both little boys are precious. I love their laughs. They smile lots. And give great hugs. Bereket knows the word hug and isn’t stingy. Tamagn is so close to walking, cruising around furniture and balancing on his own. So glad he waited for us. I had him playing on the bed and after a bit he turned around and pulled himself up and the pillows and you’d think he’d gotten into cap nip. He was hysterical, bouncing his face off the pillows, waving his arms and laughing. So fun.






























I can’t wait for Josiah to meet them. Really. I think God has been very gracious to us and while I don’t doubt we’ll have some hard days, we have two very sweet, happy little boys that we can call ours. 





3 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the great pictures, Emily. You have three handsome kiddos:):)
    I love Bereket's grin. And Tamagn's little curls and sweet smile:D

    Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, thank you so much for sharing. You are so lucky and so are your three boys. I am so jealous, but if you ever need a babysitter, we are available(my daughter says they are soooooo cute, I want them. Let her know I am 16 and can watch them). I am so glad that the legal part is done and you are all home and ready to move forward together. You captured the best pictures. You are a glowing mom. Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete