Tuesday, September 20, 2011

on wrestle time

 I was chopping carrots on Sunday, smiling to myself as my boys in the living room-- all four of them-- wrestled and squealed and growled and made the house shake. Then this little one came hauling around the corner and across the kitchen and grabbed my leg as though his life were before him.


























He jabbered away in a tongue I don't know and then gave me the biggest, brightest smile and pointed back to the living where his daddy and his brothers were playing hard. Then he was off. From my vantage point in the kitchen, I caught his heels going up over his head as he heaved his little frame back into the raucous with pure delight.

Bereket loves wrestle time and as Casey is on his second week of working half days, all my boys have enjoyed spending lots of time on the floor with daddy. So thankful! Bereket also loves to be tickled. He'll lay himself out before you with arms spread, shirt lifted on his very round, brown belly, just waiting for you. So hungry for attention. Skin itching for love. I am so glad to be able to give it.

All of my boys are adjusting to their new family really well. Really well. Better than I could have imagined. It's remarkable how good and right are boundaries, lots of love, attention, and discipline for children. Any children. True love doesn't let a child chart his own course and I have been so encouraged as Casey has jumped in to establishing his authority with these little love-hungry guys. Bereket especially has responded so well.

He has learned to give kisses, and zerberts, and how to pull your face to his to receive a kiss. His English improves every day and while I get a kick out of his monologues in Amharic, sometimes that mischievous smile on his face makes me wonder what on earth he is saying that he knows his mama can't understand.

Josiah continues to be an awesome big brother who is loving having two little brothers. He is so patient and affectionate and such a helper to his mama. He reminded me and encouraged me yesterday, while I was going head-to-head with my stubborn two-year old, "Mom, you can't let him win!" Thanks, coach.



Josiah harvesting a few neglected eggplant and tomatoes. 

Baby on my leg. I love it. 

5 comments:

  1. Love this, Em! Praying for you daily. Thanks for sharing these moments w us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures and writing made me cry...I am so thankful for you guys! Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What cute pictures, Emily:) That's so cute that Bereket loves to wrestle!!

    I'm so happy for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you're all doing great. Good to hear!

    ReplyDelete