Thursday, May 23, 2013

pub house salmon salad with maple balsamic vinaigrette



The pub house salad at the brewery down the road is a favorite of mine and as we are now officially in the season for salads, I thought those of you who don't live in our neck-of-the-woods, and therefore can't trot on over for this yumminess, might enjoy trying it at home.

First, for the dressing. It ought to be called "Bev's Maple Balsamic Dressing" as I got the recipe off my dear friend who has let me make more than a few messes in her kitchen over the years, a friend whose name is on many recipes in my book,  who has more discriminating taste buds than I and who can cook a whole lot finer than she gives herself credit. It lasts a good while in the fridge so double it if you like to have quality salad dressings on hand.

Bev's Maple Balsamic Dressing

1/2 c. EVOO
1/4 c. good quality balsamic vinegar
3 T. pure maple syrup
2 t. Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

Whisk together and chill.

Note: Ever since my mother-in-law gave me a hand immersion blender I have used it to blend my salad dressings and prefer it so much to just whisking. It homogenizes the ingredients so that they will not separate out. I highly recommend immersion blenders!


Maple-Glazed Salmon

2 t. paprika
1 t. chili powder
1 t. ground ancho chile powder (just use more regular chili powder if you don't have it)
1/2 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. light brown sugar
4 salmon filets
1 t. sea salt
1 T. pure maple syrup

Combine first 5 ingredients in bowl.
Note: I like this spice mixture on salmon and on pork, so I mix up a couple of batches and store them in a little mason jar to have on hand. 

Rub both sides of salmon (if skinless) with spice mixture; then sprinkle with salt. Lightly spray with oil.
Heat grill to 400 to 450 degrees. If you have skinless salmon, lay a sheet of tinfoil on grates of grill and then place salmon on tin foil. Close grill and grill for 7 minutes. Brush with maple syrup, close grill and continue to grill until desired doneness, 1 to 3 minutes. Transfer to serving platter.

Pub House Salad

Fresh mixed greens, washed and chopped
Fresh green beans (or thawed from freezer)
Marinated artichoke hearts
Crumbled feta
Toasted walnuts (I like to dry roast them in a pan until they smell toasty, then sprinkle with a teaspoon or so of raw sugar and dust with sea salt. The sugar quickly melts and causes the salt to stick better.)

Place the grilled salmon on top and drizzle with dressing. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Yum! This looks amazing!!
    I love reading your blog Emily, and seeing all of your beautiful pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete