Monday, May 20, 2013

for the birds

Not too many weeks ago a pair of mourning doves chose, in my opinion,  a most unromantic, ugly site for their nest.

The up and down rumblings of our garage door must not have inhibited their egg hatching too significantly for they hatched two perfect baby doves right around the beginning of May. To my great satisfaction, they have chosen a much lovelier place to begin training their young in the ways of mourning doves, namely, our backyard.

There is a little deck off our bedroom and from it I spied the little avian family one morning a few weeks back. I ran for my camera and thus began my friendship with these graceful, mild birds. I have resolved to spend 20 minutes in my garden every morning, before my children are up at 7, before the day gets hot and the sun beats down. It has been delightful. Meeting my little friends out in the garden each morning has made it especially delightful. Thought you might enjoy meeting them too.


The daddy is in the foreground, with mommy to the right and one baby behind. The mommy flew away first while the daddy stayed put, eyeing me suspiciously. 





Siblings. 

The doves provide welcome distractions during breakfast. 

Baby and daddy, or mommy. I can't tell. 
Babies are getting bigger. Still very distinct differences from adults. 

I shot these with my 50 mm prime lens as my zoom lens in out of commission. I was very close when I took these,  only two or three feet. I think we now have pets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment