Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day 1: Arriving in Addis

So, that authentic Ethiopian dinner turned out to be an all-American spaghetti casserole, kicked up a notch with an Ethiopian spice mix called berebere. Very yummy! We eat our meals family style with other adopting families, which provides a great environment for picking up tips from the people who have been here awhile. And allows us to see more of the beautiful children of this country.

A couple from Portland, OR, who now have an 11 month old son who is just as chunky as our little T,  have been here for 10 1/2 weeks as they opted to stay between court and embassy dates. They are a wealth of information!! They walked a small posse of us down to a little market after dinner to buy water and cheap spices. Now I have enough berebere to add it to everything I cook so come on over and I'll make you a killer spaghetti casserole.

But, I need to back up and tell you about our flight.
1. it was long
2. we didn't sleep... at all.
We flew Ethiopian Airlines and they were very kind and accommodating. The Ethiopian people are lovely people. And I am going to have to finish this tomorrow. I am exhausted. I think I slept a total of 5 hours in the last 72 and now the patter of the rain on the tin roof is doing me in.

Sweet, sweet sleep. 












6 comments:

  1. Glad you made it safely. We are praying for you!

    Thanks for the wonderfully written updates! It is fun to get to really hear about what you are experiencing.

    See you soon!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em--Just saw your dad and Josiah last night over at your house. We played Sorry and ate ice cream, and got some info about FL for our possible move.

    Thinking of you and praying for you!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. as you are waking up, i am going to bed which means...by the time all of us on US soil awake, you two will have already met your boys!! oh happy day! anxiously awaiting your next blog...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't thank you enough for your blogs. You are in our thoughts constantly so it is really nice to get your messages. Thank you SO MUCH!! My tummy is doing flip-flops just thinking about your first meeting with your two new sons. You definately have been preparing for this moment for a long time!!! Love on those two little one's and let them see how very blessed they will be to call you their daddy and mama. Gods blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry to have to whine as i know you are keeping very busy and are totally absorbed in those two little men, but what are they like? did they melt in your arms? did they want to be held and just look up at you w/ their big brown eyes? are the 2 of them really bonded? were you able to be alone, just your little family or was your time supervised? did you get them to smile or even laugh? you're both so good w/ children, i'm sure it was wonderful. i pray they are well as are you, felling rested and over-flowing w/ delight! hugs, love and prayers for you all...

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha! guess i should have proof-read that...coz you probably haven't been felling in a long time, but there's a good chance you're feeling well, right? oh, did the papers get to the proper judge yet?

    ReplyDelete