Our sand box is sunken into our back deck, thanks to my clever daddy, and does tend to stay damp. My boys like it best that way. They like it more than damp. They like it wet and gloriously muddy. Sand is so, so much fun to scrub out of those tight little curls!
Ah, arugula. I fell in love with this spicy, leafy, very-easy-to-grow green goodness this summer.
My little kitchen garden has yet to be what I envision it, but it gets a little better each year and in June I finally got around to sowing my out-of-date arugula rocket seeds left over from last spring and they did me the very gracious favor of sprouting. And producing a bountiful crop of zippy, yummy leaves.
Arugula has its origins in the Mediterranean, germinates in just 5-7 days and can be harvested 2 to 3 short weeks later. It is frost hardy and can be grown right through the winter in a cold frame or, due to its shallow roots, in a pot on a windowsill.
This was the result:
an arugula salad with apple vinaigrette,
arugula stuffed portabellos
and linguine tossed with arugula pesto.
And my boys ate it all. And liked it. The mushrooms were a little rich for me but the rest was very yummy. Here is the recipe for the salad dressing and the pesto, altered enough that I'm not going to feel bad for not remembering the website where the originals were found. {smile}
Apple Vinaigrette
1 whole apple, chopped in food processor
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
2 tsp. grated red onion
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 tsp. dry mustard or dijon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. olive oil
Combine all ingredients in food processor and blend till smooth. Refrigerate till serving.
I tossed the dressing into the greens and then topped with feta, bacon, apples and walnuts.
The sweetness of the dressing mellows the spicy greens, making it very palatable for little ones.
Arugula Pesto
2 c. packed arugula leaves
1/2 c. walnuts, toasted
4 garlic cloves, minced before blending
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. EVOO
Blend in food processor till smooth.
Then add 1/2 c. freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Toss with hot pasta or freeze for later use.




Looks yummy! I had similar experiences with sand and mud this morning too. :)
ReplyDeleteSo good to see your sweet boys! Ah yes, sand, mud, woodchips, all so much fun to scrub out of their hair. I am well versed in that practice as well ;) Your dinner looks so yummy! We had ourselves quite the little garden this year too. The kids love it! Hugs to you dear friend.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE that apple dressing! It is soooo yummy. The mushrooms are such a good idea. Looks delish!! My oh my, how I do envy those crystal blue eyes your Josiah has:) He sure is a handsome one!!
ReplyDelete