Tuesday, December 6, 2011

dinner last night

I don't really know what this blog is now or where it is going and we are daily moving farther away from the accuracy of its name, but every time I think I'm done, don't have time for this and no one really cares anyways (other than the nanas of these little boys, of course), one of you kind souls emails or calls to tell me you enjoy this glimpse into our lives and would I please not stop.

Thank you.

I do enjoy sharing a bit of us with friends and family far flung as this is all they'll know of our boys until they make it up here to meet them. Open invitation. We love visitors.


That was my disclaimer for the following. I am going to share a recipe. Nothing Ethiopian or gourmet, just what we had for dinner last night. But the reason I am going to share it is this.

It came from our garden! Yep, it was December 5th and I needed lettuce for my salad and cilantro for a garnish so I donned my galoshes and marched out back to harvest a bunch of butter crunch lettuce and cilantro that has re-seeded itself twice now and continues to grow through this warm autumn we are loving.

Why is it so satisfying to eat something you've grown yourself?

Especially in December in Western PA. Made my day.

This is a simple recipe. From Allison Pinholster's Southern Living magazine that I was thumbing through more than a decade ago after I'd put their kids to bed and was waiting for them to return from their night out. It's good with a simple green salad and homemade vinaigrette.


Picante Black Bean Sauce & Pasta
I double this for our family

I medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 T. olive oil
15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
16 oz. can stewed tomatoes
8 oz. can stewed tomatoes
1/2 c. picante sauce, or salsa
1 t. chili powder
1 t. cumin
1/4 tsp. oregano

4 c. cooked pasta

Top with: 1/3 c. monterrey jack, cheddar or pepper jack cheese
1/3 c. fresh cilantro, finely chopped 


Saute onion and garlic in oil till onion is tender. Stir in black beans, undrained tomatoes, picante sauce, and spices. Bring to boil, reduce heat. Simmer covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover and cook over high heat until desired consistency, stirring frequently. Spoon over hot pasta. Sprinkle with cheese and cilantro. 


Makes 4 servings, 419 calories.

Vinaigrette
if you need a good one

1 tsp. finely minced garlic
1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
3 T. champagne vinegar
1/2 c. good EVOO
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper 


1 comment:

  1. Emily
    YES! Do not stop!! I really love to read your blog:) The nana's aren't the only ones. Yum! The recipe sounds yummy!!

    ReplyDelete