Saturday, November 5, 2011

two months home

Since we've been home two months now, I'll stop thinking about all the things I wanted to share in my "one month home" post that I never wrote. Two months!! Can't get my mind around that. That plane ride home seems like a blurry, very distant memory that happened a lot longer than just two months ago. Repressed memory? We flew half-way around the world with two little strangers and now they're our kids. We know them. They know us. They call us mommy and daddy and they like us! That is good.

These two months home have been filled with firsts. Lots of really fun firsts. They have also had their fair share of doctors appointments and paperwork. Bereket has an adenoidectomy scheduled for next Friday, which should be a fairly simple, quick surgery. Casey has been diligently working on our post-adoption paperwork and preparing for our follow-up home study in a couple of weeks. Part of this new round of paperwork includes collecting pictures of the boys in their new home, with their new family members, reassurance to the Ethiopian government that they are happy and healthy and well-loved.

In selecting pictures for this, I came across the results of my third failed attempt to get one really good picture of the boys, one that I love. Mom came up to visit back in October and brought the boys a couple of pairs of sunglasses and won my middle son's heart with them. Something I now know about Bereket: he loves accessories. Shoes, jackets, hats, sunglasses. And he loves lots of accessories.

When we met him last May, I blogged about his unbelievably bright smile underneath of my own sunglasses on his little face. That smile, as he looked back over his shoulder at me in the common room at Acacia Village, burned in my memory. That's what I saw all of June, July and August until we went back to get him. So, I share the following pictures because they remind me of that first meeting, when we weren't permitted to use our cameras, and for our friends and family who have not yet gotten to meet our little ham.






























1 comment: